Applications Open! Earth to Sky Academy 2021
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center – Greenbelt, MD January 25 - 29, 2021
A tuition-free course for interpreters, informal educators, and science communicators interested in creating and nurturing regional communities of practice focused on improving climate science communication.
The Earth to Sky Academy is intended for experienced informal educators and climate communication leaders who have a strong commitment to the ETS partnership and to furthering climate literacy within their respective regions.
The purpose of the Academy is to train Regional Leaders who will conduct regional Earth to Sky courses and nurture their own Earth to Sky Regional Community of Practice. Academy content is based on over 15 years of experience and extensive evaluation of the ETS model.
Create a network of ETS regional leaders who will:
- Catalyze, nurture, and sustain a regional community of practice of climate science communicators.
- Develop and conduct effective ETS-style professional development events in their region.
- Participate in the ETS Regional Leaders Network to further the mission of ETS.
Participants will be supported every step of the way, before during and after the course.
How to Apply
DUE DATE: August 31, 2020
- Please read the full course announcement
- You must apply as a team of 3 – 5 collaborators. Note that your team must be made up of individuals from a variety of organizations/agencies.
- At least one member of your team must have attended a previous Earth to Sky training event (workshop, course, or mini-course).
- Dates are subject to change due to the pandemic
ETS Academy 2021 Course Announcement
Academy 2021 Application and Instructions
Supervisor Support Letter
Selections will be made by September 18, 2020.
Informational Webinar - Tuesday July 28, 2020 at 3:00 pm EDT
An informational webinar to provide additional details and answer questions about the Academy will be held Tuesday July 28, 2020 at 3:00 pm Eastern Time. This webinar will be recorded and posted on our website, for those who are unable to attend.
To join the webinar, you must first register here: https://gsfc610.adobeconnect.com/etsacademyinfo/event/registration.html
You will receive confirmation of your registration, which will include a unique link for you to attend the webinar.
Join Our ETS Chat Series!
Informal online conversations among interested participants - no mask required!
Topic of discussion: Whether and how to adapt climate communication strategies during the pandemic.
This isn't a webinar - it's a dialogue, with breakout groups so everyone will have a good chance to participate - and you don't have to wear a mask!
Each week's discussion questions are a bit different and are posted via the ETS Listserv.
The Chat series is being held once every two weeks on Thursdays, 4:30 PM EDT.
Next Chat is Thursday 4 June 2020, 4:30 to 5:30 PM Eastern Time
Register to join the next chat:
Logistics: Since this is a conversation, it would be nice to see faces to go with voices. Please plan to use a webcam if possible.
You will need headphones/earphones and your computer’s microphone for audio (we will not have telephone access). This event will not be recorded.
Please note: We'll be using the Adobe Connect platform. When you join the webinar, be sure to load the “Application” version of Adobe Connect, rather than the “Browser” version, for optimum results. Here is further information about how to configure your computer for Adobe Connect.Virtual_Meeting_Requirements.pdf
You are welcome to join the webinar several minutes early, to check the settings on your computer and get familiar with the webinar environment.
Looking forward to seeing you there!
New! Regional Communities for Climate Communicators
Earth to Sky is developing Regional Communities of Practice in Climate Communication, each of which is led by Regional Leadership Teams trained and mentored by the partnership's Central Leadership. This is in support of our community's interest in a regional approach for climate communication. Our goals are to expand and deepen the impact of our partnership and strengthen our national community of practice.
A regional approach enables Earth to Sky to
- Provide ETS climate training near to participants’ workplace
- Provide greater focus on locally relevant content
- Give stronger support to the ETS community
- Empower local climate leaders
- Provide more frequent training across the country
- Train more people
Regional Leadership Teams
- Are trained and mentored by Earth to Sky Leadership
- Conduct regional ETS courses in climate science and communication
- Nurture and sustain their own regional communities of practice
- Are supported by ETS Leadership and each other
The ETS Academy Trains Earth to Sky Regional Leaders
Regional Leadership Teams receive training at the Earth to Sky Academy, a tuition-free 5-day course held at NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. The content is based on over 15 years of experience and extensive evaluation of the ETS model. These teams then conduct regional Earth to Sky courses and nurture their regional community of practice of climate communicators. They also receive ongoing mentorship and support from the ETS Central Leadership and each other.
The first Academy was held October 21-25, 2019. Four teams attended and are now preparing their regional courses. The courses will be advertised on our website and via the ETS listserv.
- Team Southeast Alaska
- Laura Buchheit (NPS), Rick Fritsch (NOAA), Jamie Hart (NPS), Emma Johnson (NPS), Laurie Lamm (USFS)
- Supporting interpreters and informal educators in southeast and south-central Alaska
- Team Idaho
- Kayla Bordelon (University of Idaho), Teresa Cohn (University of Idaho), Jamie Esler (Couer d’Alene Schools), Augie Gabrielli (City of Boise), Jamie Little (Idaho Department of Parks and Recreation)
- Supporting interpreters and teachers in Idaho
- Team South Central CASC
- April Taylor (Chickasaw Nation), Emma Kuster (Oklahoma University), Kelly Poteet (NASA Oklahoma Space Grant Consortium)
- Supporting tribal educators and DOI staff in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Texas, and Louisiana
- Team Upper Delaware River
- Mary Anne Carletta (Emerita, Georgetown College, KY), Don Hamilton (NPS), Stephen Moulton (Himalayan Institute), Carol Roig (Sullivan County), Stephen Schwartz (Consultant)
- Supporting informal educators, economic drivers, and policy-makers whose communities flank the Upper Delaware River in Pennsylvania and New York
Read more about the Earth to Sky Academy